GIVE A TRUE GIFT TO YOUR FRIENDS
CHOOSE THE RIGHT LEVEL OF EXCITEMENT FOR THOSE YOU CARE ABOUT THE MOST
Only 190Kč with Discovery Pass!
(includes round-trip train ticket from Prague – Radotin, admission fee to the Underground and the organization)
Admire the skyline of the Karlstejn Castle, visit the Velka Amerika quarry and go for an excursion to the abandoned underground mines! You can also take an optional tour of the Great Tower of the Karlstejn Castle.
WHEN: Saturday September 23rd 2017
9:00 AM to 7:00 PM
DIFFICULTY: MEDIUM (about 17 km of walking with some steep ascents)
MEETING LOCATION: Prague – Smichov Train Station (see photo in description)
This is dogs and children friendly event! (children under 16 go free!)
Unsure if you should join? Check a video and photos from our last hike to Karlstejn and Velka Amerika!
Out of stock
I’d like to invite you for an event which combines hiking with an excursion to the underground tunnels of Velka Amerika and other disused quarries. There will also be an option to take a tour of the Great Tower of the Karlstejn Castle (for additional 260 CZK). In total, you will be hiking some 14 km on the ground plus another 3 km in the underground.
Please note: This trip is not suitable for people suffering anxiety in enclosed underground spaces – claustrophobia. All participants will attend strictly at their own risk and will follow the guide’s instructions at all times!
We will meet on Saturday 26th of August and 23rd of September at 9:00 am at Smichovske nadrazi in the ticket hall – see the photo below.
The meeting place in the ticket hall of Prague – Smichov Train Station
Please allow extra time to get there – public transport is less frequent on Saturdays. Use the journey planner to plan your route.
1. After getting off the train, we’ll hike for about 10 km across the villages, meadows and forests to the Velka Amerika quarry. We’ll make a brief refreshment stop (or two) along the way.
2. We’ll enjoy the scenery of old quarries on the ground level and then continue to the meeting point with our guide.
3. The Excursion is booked from 2:15 pm and takes about 90 minutes.
4. After the excursion: We’ll continue the hike to Mala Amerika and back to the Karlstejn village where we’ll have an early dinner/late lunch.
5. We will leave the restaurant around 5:45 pm to catch the train arriving in Prague-Smichov at 6:58 pm
6. Alternatively, we can take an earlier train and have dinner in Prague (back in Prague at 5:58 pm)
The route combines both marked and unmarked trails and is about 14 km long (+3 km in the Underground), including some steep ascents.
We’ll stop for a light lunch/snack in Morina. You will be able to buy a drink and small snacks (like pickled hermelin, hot-dog, sausage…). Nevertheless, bring water and a small bite to eat with you.
What to take with you: Flashlight – it can be a mobile phone as long as its battery is able to last for the whole tour; Firm, non-slippery shoes; Warm sweater or overcoat – it is about 9°C in the underground all year round! Swimwear (if you want to have a swim in ‘Mala Amerika’ after the excursion), water and a small bite to eat.
Helmets for everyone will be provided.
Includes the planning and organization, admission to the excursion and the round-trip train fare from Praha – Radotin (bring 2×24 CZK ticket if you don’t have a prepaid travel card for Prague Public Transit).
This is an open event without a fixed number of attendees. You can just turn up in the morning and pay in cash, however if you want to use a discount coupon (survey or Discovery Pass) you have to reserve your place online.
• Unsure if you should join? Check a video and photos from our last hike to Karlstejn and Velka Amerika!
I’m looking forward to hiking with you!
P.S. Important info
The old “Amerika” quarries near Karlstejn are really cool. However, beware that while visiting them you will need to take extra caution to avoid injury, especially not to climb to the cliff’s edges.
|Choose the Date:||
Saturday 26th August, Saturday 23rd September